Students! Are you interested in foreign films, animation, and student-produced documentaries? Our PTSO is generously sponsoring a field trip to the 2019 San Diego Asian Film Festival Youth Day on Wednesday, November 13! Due to limited seating in the movie theaters, only 50 students can attend. Come see a selection of films picked out just for young audiences and hear from industry filmmakers about their careers. Please turn in a parent permission form by November 8th to the Assistant Principal’s office. Students must be in good standing with attendance, behavior, and no D’s/F’s in scholarship and citizenship. Any questions? Please see Mrs. Bumatay
Parents and Students,
College day is on Wednesday, October 16th, an important day at Olympian High! There are going to be many activities going on so please read this information carefully.
- Seniors WILL NOT be attending any classes. Seniors will report directly to the gym at 7:30 for a cap and gown assembly and the panoramic picture. Please remember our dress guidelines. Do not jeopardize the opportunity to be in the picture by wearing something inappropriate or being taken out of the picture due to uncooperative behavior. Seniors will be dismissed after the picture ONLY IF you bring in a signed parent permission slip that you will be job shadowing, doing community service, or visiting a college campus. The permission slip will be emailed out to 12th graders by Mr. Patterson.
- ALL 9th, 10th, and 11th graders will report to their regular period 1 class. Since it is College Day, please wear a college t-shirt to school! We are on a modified day schedule with student lunch time at the end of the day. Students will be released at 12:00 pm. Buses will depart school at 12:15.
- 9th graders need to bring your laptops fully charged! You will be working on your e-portfolio and other activities.
- 10th and 11th graders will be taking the PSAT test. Report to your Period 1 teacher. Students will receive a pass if they will be taking the test with another teacher. Please bring No. 2 pencils, a 4-function calculator, and a book to read when you are finished with the test. See the acceptable calculator list here, https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt-psat-10/taking-the-tests/test-day-checklist/approved-calculators. Students will have to place their backpacks in a separate area in the classroom on test day. No cell phones will be allowed on your person during the test. Please make sure to eat a good breakfast and get plenty of rest the night before. There will be no nutrition break. The inside cafeteria lines will be open on Wednesday morning from 7:15 to 7:25 before school. There is no penalty for guessing, so please try your best! You can also access practice exams HERE to prepare in advance. You may be eligible for scholarships based on your score!
Please contact me if you have any questions.
Students on this list will not be able to attend dances or extra-curricular activities. If you have any questions, please see your Assistant Principal.
After school tutoring will be in the library from 3-4PM, Tuesdays-Thursdays. Teachers will be available in the library to tutor in the following subjects: social science, math, English and science. There will be no tutoring on Mondays, Fridays, fall break or Thanksgiving break.
Please refer to the 2019-20 Tutoring Schedule for details
Parents of Advanced Placement Students,
The College Board, creators of Advanced Placement, recently made significant changes to the AP exam ordering process, deadlines, late fees and cancellation fees that will be mandated for all schools and all students in the 2019-2020 school year.
It is important that all families are aware of these changes:
- AP Exam payment for the May exams will be collected this Fall semester. The cost of each exam is $100.00 for the exam and for administration/proctoring costs. Students who qualify for Free or Reduced Lunch will pay $40 per exam. Payment can be made in person at the ASB or online at the ASB Webstore starting in August. There will be no sales the week of October 7th due to Homecoming activities. Please budget and plan accordingly to pay for the exams. The school deadline is October 25, 2019.
- Any exams ordered after the initial school order submission to the College Board will be assessed an additional $40.00/exam late fee per exam.
- An additional $40.00/exam cancellation fee will be assessed for any exam order cancelled after Nov 15, 2019.
- Furthermore, there is a $40/exam no show fee for students who ordered a test but do not take it in May.
Please see this link for more information.
Olympian is now accepting self-nominations for School Site Council (SSC) members.
SSC members shall be elected for 2-year terms.
• Obtain recommendations for, and review of, the proposed Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA) from all school advisory committees
• Develop and approve the SPSA and related expenditures in accordance with all state and federal laws and regulations
• Recommend the SPSA and related expenditures to the governing board for approval
• Provide ongoing review of the implementation of the SPSA with the principal, teachers, and other school staff members
• Make modifications to the SPSA whenever the need arises
• Submit the modified SPSA for governing board approval whenever a material change (as defined in district governing board policy) is made in planned activities or related expenditures
• Annually (and at each semester, trimester, etc.) evaluate the progress made toward school goals to raise the academic achievement of all students
• Carry out all other duties assigned to the SSC by the district governing board and by state law
Members MUST be able to attend monthly meetings held the first Wednesday of each month. Meetings are at 3 pm in the Olympian High School College Center (main office).
Elections will be held during Open House on August 8, 2019. If elected you will serve from August 2019-July 2021
Check out our new Eagle’s Nest online resource! The Eagle’s Nest is a way to see the week at a glance. It’s under the Calendar drop-down menu on our school website.