FIELD TRIPS NOT AFFILIATED WITH THE DISTRICT
Teacher Organized Trips – NO LONGER APPROVED BY THE DISTRICT!
- Organization: Typically organized by an individual teacher
- Destination: Can be out-of-county, out-of-state, or out-of country. The most common trips are to the East Coast or Europe. These are for “educational/cultural” experiences.
- Teacher must now organize these trips as private
- May not recruit students on campus
- May not use school facilities for meetings including tour companies wanting to rent facilities
- May not advertise on campus
- May not conduct any fundraising on campus
- All literature must clearly state that the activity is not supported or sponsored by the School or District.
THERE CAN BE NO CONNECTION WHATSOEVER BETWEEN THE SCHOOL/DISTRICT AND THE ACTIVITY!!
- All field trips require at least two weeks prior approval. Application forms are available in the ASB office. (Field Trip Form) or use this link to access https://goo.gl/8NJ3BP
- The “Activity Request” must also be submitted to the ASB at least two weeks prior to the trip.
- Only academic classes may schedule field trips during the school day. All other groups must plan trips around school hours (after school or during the breaks).
- The field trip advisor is responsible for arranging the following items with the ASB Advisor:
- bus requisitions
- chaperones (1 chaperone for every 15 students)
- completed parent permission slip for each student
- releasing students from classes – submitting one complete alphabetical list to each teacher three days prior to the event
- class coverage arranged
- submitting a list of those students who attended the field trip to the attendance office so their absence can be cleared
- arrangements for students not participating in field trip
- “Club” Field Trips must be arranged after school or on non-school days
- students attending a field trip must fill out a permission slip (signed by parents) and have it signed by each one of his/her teachers
- All Field Trip Forms must be signed by the Principal.
HOW TO SUBMIT A FIELD TRIP REQUEST
- Certificated employee sponsoring a proposed excursion or field trip prepares an application and forwards it to the principal for approval/signature. Field trip forms are located at the ASB Office or at this link https://goo.gl/8NJ3BP
- After Field Trip form is signed by the Principal is will be submitted to Mrs. Burgos firstname.lastname@example.org in the OHS front office. She will scan and email it to Mrs. Hernandez at Yolanda.Hernandez@sweetwaterschools.org located in the district office. Once the district has approved the field trip Ms. de Santiago will add it to the master calendar.
- After principal approval, students are given a Parent Permission Form (which includes a Hold Harmless Agreement) which must be signed by parent or guardian. This form includes a place for teachers to sign acknowledging the student will miss their class. These forms are to be collected by the host teacher and taken with them on the field trip.
- Please note students and staff are covered by district insurance during approved trips.
- Any other adults (that are not district employees) going on the trip must sign a waiver form (available upon request from the ASB).
- If traveling by car, there is another form necessary (which is available upon request from the ASB). Request for Excursion/Field Trip form submitted to Principal for approval.
- District buses are available for trips that leave after 9 a.m. and return prior to 1 p.m. If you go on a field trip between these hours, you must use district transportation. The Principal must approve this expense (unless you have other funding or are paying from your trust account). If the hours of the field trip are outside of this window, you may hire a charter bus, but it must be from an approved company. Fees for charter companies vary. The approved list is available upon request.